My son love chicken nuggets! I have stopped buying them though, because of all the processed ingredients added to them. I figured why not try to create a clean version instead of giving them up completely. They are a great finger food and the whole family can enjoy them. These were really good and Jeremiah loved them and so did I.
Clean Chicken Nuggets (recipe adapted from The Eat-Clean Diet)
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1/2 cup oat bran cereal
- 1 Tbsp coarsely ground flaxseed
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 Tbsp Mrs. Dash Tomato Basil Garlic Seasoning Blend
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp parsely
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Olive oil spray
- Preheat oven to 350°F . Prepare baking sheet by lining with parchment paper or coating lightly with extra virgin olive oil.
- Add all seasonings (except cumin,parsley and oat bran) to ground chicken and form into nugget-sized pieces, about 1½ inches square. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl add parsley and cumin to oat bran. This is your coating mixture.
- Mix egg in a medium bowl. Dip each piece in the egg mixture. Then dip each piece in the coating mixture. Make sure each piece is well coated.
- Place on the baking sheet . When all of your chicken has been coated and your baking sheet is full, spray top of nuggets with olive oil and place in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden. Flip at 10 minutes.
We paired the nuggets with baked potato fries and a side salad. I used all-natural bbq sauce from Trader Joes and Jeremiah had ketchup:)